The definition of “Watching TV” has drastically involved : you can be tuning into a movie/serie on linear TV, streaming series on a connected TV or even follow a sporting event on your smartphone. Viewership is now fragmented on multiple device.There is also a shift in TV time consumption, from Light TV Viewers to Heavy Viewers. More and more people watch less TV daily than others. It is also important to point out that the ad attention which is an important key performance indicator has to be kept in mind while launching branding campaigns for a new product/service/brand. People are thus still watching TV but in a different way than in the past.
Multiple devices equals multiple touchpoints to cover which implicate to rethink the online and offline media campaign in order to deduplicate reach across all screens. Are online videos the right answer?
- A study made by Freewheel points out the fact that online video advertising could drive incremental reach beyond linear TV in order to maximise reach and reduce incremental cost per reach point.
- Another global study made by Youtube points out the fact that Youtube can reach more 18-49 years old in an average week than all cable TV networks combined. Moreover, 62% of all Youtube mobile ads gain more ad attention compared to linear TV.
- Moreover, another study made in Belgium for internet usage on the TV set shown that people use TV to watch digital content : as no surprise, Youtube won the first place.
We need to be aware of consumers’ media/content consumption and the devices uses for each persona defined with the advertiser in order to deliver the right message at the right time and to the right audience. We need to implement a cross-channel strategy which takes into account all touchpoints (online & offline) to maximise the reach, spend and overall performance. The main purpose is to begin to break the silo between offline and online advertising in order to show the complementarity of each channel in a 360° communication plan (OU hollistic communication strategy).
As the technology involves, offline TV involves too and become more and more accessible through programmatic buying. Today, we can access some offline tv inventories through VOD platforms. Moreover, some telecommunication providers offers the possibility to target people on offline TV with personalized ad through direct buying. Target people who watch offline TV is thus expected to strengthen further pointing to programmatic buying for month or years to come.
- “The power of OTT: Audiences & Engagement ” by Freewheel
- “Engaging the viewer : Designing a winning ad experience” by Freewheel
- “Growth & Convergence : the evolution of premium video in 2018” by Freewheel
- “Under the Hood of over-the-top measurement” by Magna, IPG Media
- “Data Suggest Visual Attention to Advertising on Youtube Mobile is higher than on TV” by Ipsos
- “Establishment Survey : Audio, Vidéo, Nouveau médias : sur quels devices sont-ils consommés?” by CIM
- “Light TV Viewers in 2012 Study: a major shift to online from TV” by Think with Google
- Article “Bending the curve visual guide” by Council for Premium Video & Freewheel